Based in Dassel, Lower Saxony (Niedersachsen), Germany
October 13, 2015
Press / Business contact:
Ilmestraße 24 | 37586 Dassel | Germany
+49 (0)176 20 81 26 60
Cultural Games is a German independent game studio. Cultural Games aims to bridge gaming and culture with persuasive games. Real world challenges are integrated into the gameplay. The Challenges can be solved in the virtual world. The gamer may take ideas and background information back into the real world – taking on the real challenges as part of a bigger culturability sensitive community.
Cultural Games is a young game development studio founded by the sociologist and game designer Kolja Bopp in 2015. The company kickstarted with “Kawaida's Journey - A Tanzania Game App”. Kolja united different amazing creators who believe in indie games which sensitizes for an intercultural togetherness and fairness. Cultural Games utilizes this method to support sustainable projects, organizations and companies by opening a new channel of communication. The name symbolizes what Cultural Games stand for: We love games, we love cultures, we love impact.Kawaida’s Journey – A Tanzania Game App
„Kawaida’s Journey – A Tanzania Game App“ is a culturally ambitious smartphone/tablet-game focusing on Tanzania and the Swahili-Culture of East Africa. It conveys cultural knowledge in a positive way and simultaneously sensitizes people for social and ecological topics (e.g. equal opportunities, renewable energy, resources and reforestation). „Kawaida’s Journey“ is considered a cultural game by acting as an agent for specific cultural elements and knowledge. The game takes you on a journey through Tanzania. Jump and run through different experiences from the sandy beaches and mangrove-forests on Zanzibar island, through the mysterious worlds of the Indian Ocean, alongside the crowded city life of Stone Town and Dar Es Salaam up to the wide East African bush savanna. To let you explore local specifics of the East African culture. „Kawaida’s Journey“ is created as a collaborative project between German and Tanzanian software-developers, artists and non-profit organizations. „Kawaida’s Journey“ establishes playfully bridges between Europe and Africa free from simple prejudiced stigma, generalization of African cultures or classical development aid policy. The game encourages differentiated perceptions of the African continent. It inspires for intercultural understanding and, through the new media of digital games, reaches out to new target audiences, motivating for a sustainable way of life (social impact).Recent
Cultural Games is proud to present a demo version as showcase of „Kawaida’s Journey – A Tanzania Game App” at the Gamescom 2016.Future
And like all indie studios - Cultural Games is looking for new partners and adventures for the years to come in the field of strains between games and inter-culturability.
Kawaida's Journey | PROTOTYPE CAPTURE YouTube
Kawaida's Journey | THE IDEA YouTube
Kawaida's Journey | THE STORY YouTube
There are far more images available for Cultural Games, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "GDWC FINALIST serious category: Game Development World Championship (TheGDWC) @SLUSH16 Helsinki (Finland)" - December 2016
- "Production phase: Funded by nordmedia – Film- und Mediengesellschaft Niedersachsen/Bremen mbH." - November 2016
- "Kawaida’s Journey presentation at Indie Arena Booth @Gamescom Cologne." - August 2016
- "'Team-Favorite' ("Projects we love") and 'Project of the day' for Kickstarter campaign." - January 2016
- "Prototype development: Funded by nordmedia – Film- und Mediengesellschaft Niedersachsen/Bremen mbH." - January 2016
- "Kawaida's Journey presentation @MAG2018 in Erfurt" - Oktober 2018
- "Kawaida’s Journey Mobile Game – Taking Swahili Culture to the World"
- Incredible Dar Magazine (Dar Es Salam), incredibledar.com
- "Afrika innovativ darstellen – Interview mit Game-Designer Kolja Bopp."
- AFRICA POSITIVE 60, 2016, africa-positive.de
- "Spiele-App-Entwicklung als deutsch-tansanisches Kooperationsprojekt"
- HABARI-Magazin 02-2015, S. 72, tanzania-network.de